Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Blonde Leading the Blind

After an allergic reaction to some contact solution left me completely blind Friday night, I found myself at the mercy of my mom, dad, and Skeeter. With eyes swollen completely shut, I could not see a thing. After a trip to the emergency room for eye drops, antibiotics, antihistamines, and pain meds (the pain was excruciating!), I came home with mom and dad to be cared for. It is interesting to me how different my "treatment" was from each of my family members.

MOM- My mom played the perfect nurse. She held my hand and walked me from room to room, she helped me with my eye drops and made sure I ate and took my medicine. She was unendingly patient in meeting my every need. She even learned to work my Dexcom so she could read my blood sugar numbers to me, in fact, she is kind of obsessed with it now. She's all, "eat some cheesecake and then I'll tell you your number!" Because I was completely blind, I had to teach her to work my iPhone so that she could respond to my emails and texts, and despite her protests, she did really well!


DAD- Dad's idea of "taking care" of me consisted of parking me on the couch next to him while he watched his favorite tv shows, and occasionally describing what was happening on the show. "That noise was the semi-truck blowing up." "The main guy just fell down a flight of stairs, but he got back up." Etc. When I would get up to feel my way to the bathroom or the kitchen, he wouldn't even warn me about objects in my way. He would just watch me smack face first into them and then say, "Wall!" or "Table!" After the ER doctor had assured him I wouldn't be permanently blind, he found the entire "blindness" situation quite humorous. Clearly he will be winning no awards for his nursing skills. 



BROTHER- He sent me a text saying, "Heard you were blind for a while. That sucks! Love ya." No nursing awards for him either.

SKEETER- LIfe with a four-year-old is already interesting. Being BLIND with a four-year-old is down right horrifying. For starters, anyone with kids knows that when kids are making noise everything is fine, it's when they go QUIET that you have to worry. So the entire weekend became a 36 hour-long game of Marco/Polo. Anytime he was being quiet I'd yell, "Marco!" So that he would yell, "Polo!" and I would know what vicinity he was in. After the first few hours of my blindness, he had an epiphany and turned to my parents and said, "You guys! Since Tates can't see us it means we can sneak up on her ALL THE TIME!" After that I would be sitting quietly by myself when I would suddenly feel breathing on my neck, or a little hand creeping around by my foot, or hot breath on my face. Then Skeeter would yell "I SNEEKED UP ON YOU AND YOU DIDN'T SEE ME! Mwahahaha!" 


Aside from the sneakiness, he was actually a really good nurse. He would take my hand in his little hand and walk me from place to place. He would bring me water bottles from the fridge, and he would describe everything with lots of details while walking me around. "That breeze you are feeling is the fan. We are in the living room." "That sound you are hearing is me eating a granola bar." However, we apparently need to nail down the difference between left and right. Several times he would be holding my hand and would say, "Okay Tates, now turn left." WHACK! "Oops. I meant right." 

Now that I have my vision back, I can see all of the bruises I have accumulated from a weekend of blundering blindly around my parents' house.  

The only other issue that occurred during my blindness was that I was not available to ensure that Ot didn't:
1. Survive only on chocolate milk, provided by his grandpa while I couldn't see it.
2. Make sure his teeth were brushed properly and that he didn't just wet his toothbrush.
3. Dress him for church Sunday morning. 

I always dress him in cutesy "preppy" outfits. Yes, I have been known to occasionally send him out in a sweater-vest and dockers. I like preppy boy clothes. This morning after church when I had regained the majority of my vision in my left eye and partial vision in my right eye, I saw that he had attended church in THIS:

That's right, in the 90+ degree weather, he attended church camo boots, jeans, and a "Naps are the enemy" t-shirt. I guess I should just be thankful that he did not sneak by me in a cape and his Spiderman rainboots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment