Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sugar Shuffle

"What happened in here?" It was the question my very confused father posed after waking from his Sunday nap to discover my mother and me in the kitchen.

It began innocently. Because I have The Beetus, birthday cake is not a good thing for me to eat. But with my 27th birthday looming, I have been on the lookout for a diabetes-friendly cake recipe. I found a recipe for a soybean flour cake and decided to make a test cake at my parents' house on Sunday. The cake itself was fine...nothing award winning, but definitely edible if it had a little real frosting on top. I found a container of vanilla frosting in the cabinet, only to open it and discover that SOMEONE had been eating it with a spoon. Sigh.


My mom and I sat there staring at the almost empty frosting container and my naked little soybean cake. Since I cook MAYBE twice a year, the fact that I had used a blender and the oven all in one day was kind of a big deal. We could not let my efforts end in frostingless tragedy! So a mad dash began. We opened every cabinet in the kitchen looking for something we could use to top the cake. In our enthusiasm, we completely forgot about the fact that this was supposed to be a "healthy" cake. Mom was yelling things like, "Ugh! No whip cream!" and "I know we've got some powdered sugar around here somewhere!"In the end, our cake topping options came down to a bag of dark chocolate chocolate chips, a package of white chocolate almond bark, and a bottle of Sugar Free Hershey's Syrup. Mom decided the the almond bark was the way to go and broke off several bars to put in a bowl in the microwave. The good news? The soybean cake was DELICIOUS covered in melted white chocolate! The bad news? I'm pretty sure cake stops being diabetic-friendly when you pour two pounds of almond bark over it. 

Between the two of us, one slice at a time, we ate the ENTIRE CAKE (It was small! It was small!). So when my dad wandered into the kitchen after his nap, the scene he saw was:
The kitchen in a complete mess from our icing search/baking the cake.
An empty cake pan covered in crumbs.
A cabinet covered in the remnants of melted white chocolate.
Mom and me, holding our stomachs and groaning. Clearly two people suffering from eater's remorse. Eater's remorse is like buyer's remorse, but with food. Pretty much we looked like this kid:



The awkward part is that when people ask me how my soybean cake turned out I say "Delicious!" But I'm not really sure if the cake was actually good, or if the almond bark is what made it good. I'm pretty sure you could pour melted almond bark over stale bread and it would still be delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment