Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Death By Chocolate...no really!


Fact Number One: Reese's Cups are my favorite candy of all time. EVAAAA!
Fact Number Two: I am a stress-eater.

So ironically, when I got diagnosed as a diabetic I could not reach for my go-to comfort candy. Luckily, I discovered that Sugar Free Reese's exist! Naturally I bought out Wal-mart's supply and began tossing them back with reckless abandon in the car on the way home from the store. By the time I got home and had all of the groceries put away my tummy felt a bit rumbly...

Fast forward 30 minutes and I was face down on the living room floor on a heating pad, feeling like I was literally going to die. I could not imagine what was happening. Other than being thirsty and a little tired, I never had any other symptoms of diabetes. Was this some new horrible symptom I was going to have to deal with the rest of my life?!?

No, no. It turns out that most sugar free candy, including Sugar Free Reese's, is made with a chemical called Sorbitol. Sorbitol is the exact same drug hospitals use as a LAXATIVE. Most sugar free candy packages even include a warning (at the very bottom of the back of the package, in the world's smallest lettering) that consumption may cause digestive issues or a "laxative-like effect." What it actually means is that half an hour after consumption you feel like you have swallowed a fist full of firecrackers and thumbtacks that are now being punched in the gut by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

COME ON CANDY COMPANIES! We are buying your sugar free candy because we are diabetic. Now we are diabetic with excruciating stomach cramps. Way to kick us while we are down! Don't feel like I'm just picking on you Reese's, I feel that Russel Stover and Hershey's owes us all an apology as well. ;D

Now if you will excuse me, I have a Jello Sugar Free Pudding calling my name. Unlike SOME snacks, Jello does not make me feel like I am dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment