Thursday, October 31, 2013

HAPPY HALLOW...Nope.

The only radio station I really listen to is K-LOVE. But during the month of October my guilty pleasure is always Thriller Thursdays on Alice 107.7. On Thriller Thursdays people email and call in with their creepy "true" stories. Ghost stories, demon stories, mysterious and unexplainable stories, etc.

I always listen to Thriller Thursdays while be-bopping around my house getting ready for work. Usually after each story I roll my eyes like, "Of COURSE he thought he saw a demon, he took a ouija board to a cemetery and started chanting for dark spirits! Idiot." or "Good grief, that girl needs Jesus in her life." 

Having been feeling slightly convicted about my Thriller Thursday listening ways, I rationalized that it was only 4 mornings a year! The other 361 were wholesome music days. What was the harm in 4 little mornings of ghost stories? 

This morning, the final Thriller Thursday of the year I woke up particularly excited. The last Thriller Thursday is always the scariest, and this year's Thriller Thursday actually fell on Halloween! I flipped on the radio and hopped out of bed. With eerie music playing in the background I bopped into my living room to turn on the lights. I flipped the switches on my light panel and with a loud "POP!" my kitchen light, living room lights, and dining room lights all briefly popped on and then went dark! In a blind panic I flipped the switches on and off repeatedly...nothing. Strangely, despite the lights not working, my radio stayed on. 

I stood there in the dark, rain pouring outside, with creepy Thriller Thursday music playing in the background and some girl on the radio telling a story about how she thought she was being chased by a demon one time and she kept trying to turn on the lights in her house but the bulbs kept burning out. Suuuuuuperrrrr. 

I made a mad dash for the radio and flicked it to the K-LOVE preset as quickly as possible. Then I found one of the emergency lanterns my dad gave me and got to work on the fuse box. Sadly, I could not get the lights to come back on. Which means I had to get ready for work by lantern light...during a storm...on Halloween.

Suddenly, the routine things I do literally EVERY morning seem like the scariest things in the world. I think a set a world record for Quickest Shower. Have you ever taken a shower via candles and lantern? It seems like it would be relaxing:


But really all I could imagine the whole time was the shower scene from Psycho:


The worst part was, after surviving my shower, I had to get ready for work in the dark. Have you ever tried to put on mascara by candlelight? I'm pretty sure when I got to work this morning my officemates just looked at me and thought, "Good grief. Katie Beth just came to work 30 minutes late wearing Halloween makeup!" Nope, not Halloween makeup, just regular makeup I attempted to apply in the dark. 








No comments:

Post a Comment